Ultimate Online Marketing Guide 2017
Marketing is 100% psychology and strategy.
In his book, Magnetic Sponsoring, Mike Dillard describes marketing as “the ability to communicate a message persuasively.”
The required skill…this is a MUST HAVE skill…to communicate persuasively is copywriting.
As defined by Copy Blogger, Copywriting is the art and science of strategically delivering words (whether written or spoken) that get people to take some form of action.
Great copywriters are among the highest-paid professionals in the world. Just like in every profession, you’ll need to invest time and energy in studying this skill. As you become more proficient in the art of copywriting, you will automatically begin to generate more leads, close more sales, and create lifelong customers.
This skill is powerful. Great copywriters are never broke!
Throughout my blog, you will learn tips, tricks and tactics to influence your target market to take action and buy. You will learn the most effective strategies from advertising, neuro-linguistic programming (NLP), and conversational hypnosis. This post is to lay your foundation to be an influential marketer…if you read this article now then every other strategy that you learn on this site will be much more effective.
Copywriting is manipulation. Manipulation is a word that gives most people the heeby-geebies, but let’s look at what it actually means.
One thing that you must understand is that we ALL manipulate.
It is part of our DNA…it is for basic Survival (Maslow’s human needs). It is not wired to beliefs or values. It’s ingrained in us…in the Bible story of Genesis, the first people were given the the power and responsibility to subdue Earth’s resources. We have been manipulating our environment and circumstances to get what we want since the beginning of time.
When a child pits his or her parent against the other to play outside for one more hour before doing their homework, it is manipulation. Vice versa, when a parent craftily influences their child to meet the desires of the parent, it’s manipulation.
This is where people get hung up on the word…They will align themselves with “persuasion” or “influence,” but disassociate themselves with the word “manipulation.” These terms have the same definition. Due to connotation, we think of world dictators, cult leaders, scam artists and etc. when we use the word manipulation.
Obviously this skill of persuasion can be used for good or evil. I’m giving this information to you believing that you will use it for the benefit of humanity. Use this skill set ethically and to the benefit of all involved. I’m giving you this information to you as a gift so that you can have a reality where you never worry about money again.
“If we can’t agree on this, then we live in a made up world where persuasion can only happen by chance. We must accept that anytime we try to change the thoughts or behaviors of another person, we are manipulating them, and persuasion is the tool we use to manipulate.”
-Brian Fanale, multi-millionaire copywriter
If persuasion were only by chance then every sales letter and video would be a shot in the dark…every magazine would be throwing darts at one inch target hoping to hit a bull’s eye…every commercial would rolling the dice hoping to gain customers. That is not the case, and you know it isn’t. As I have stated, I’m believing you to use this to be a bright light in the world to set yourself and others free.
Why did I cover this before we dive in deep to the training?
At some point in your career as a marketer, someone is going to call you manipulative. I want you to be ready for it, and to be OK…even happy.
Marketing To Meet The Undeniable Human Needs
We all as human have a set of needs that are undeniable. By undeniable, I mean that we will do just about anything to make sure that these needs are met. This fact it KEY to your success as an online marketer.
You must learn to intentionally elicit your prospect’s emotions to fulfill these these needs. We buy because of emotion, and then attempt to justify our actions with logic.
Mike Dillard, a millionaire online copywriter, tells a story about purchasing a Mercedes convertible that he had desired for a long time. He went to the dealership, and the car that he wanted was not immediately available…it was going to take 3 months to import it from overseas. However, the same car with a smaller engine was immediately available, and could be in his garage in only 2 weeks. Due to his emotions, he instantly said “yes” to the car that wasn’t what he had dreamed, and then justified the purchase with “logic.” ‘Well it’s a safer car…it’ll be less expensive…‘ His emotions did the buying.
This training will not be about how to sell your features and benefits of your products and services. People will forget what you say…they will always remember how you make them feel!
EMOTIONS are EVERYTHING.
Learn to trigger the following emotions and become a dangerously persuasive copywriter:
1) Sense of Hope – Give your prospects a sense of hope that you possess the keys to their better life. This is one of the strongest universal emotional triggers known to mankind. Give them the impression that your offer is the key to their sense of hope.
2) Encourage Their Dreams – You will be immensely successful if you can make your prospects believe that they can have the life of their dreams by using your product, service or offer. When you project a person in the future with the benefits of your offer then they will be more likely to click the “BUY NOW” button.
3) Scapegoat – A classic example of this is prescription medication television ads. They place the blame of illnesses upon genetics, environment, lifestyle, etc. This screams to the prospect IT’S NOT YOUR FAULT. Make them feel like their problems are outside of them, and that you have the answer.
4) Ease Their Pain – People generally are more inclined to flee pain rather than to pursue pleasure. This is where you have to understand the pain, common setbacks, and obstacles of your target market. Use your own pain to tell a story of how your products or services eased your pain, and the prospect will fill in their own details.
5) Validate Their Thoughts, Feelings and Concerns – “The customer is always right.” Telling a prospect they are wrong throws up a wall of resistance. Validating their feelings creates a common ground to move them towards your desired outcome.
6) Engage and Capture Attention – People are like goldfish. We have an extremely short attention span, and it gets worse every single day. Use words that trigger emotional hot buttons. Earlier in this article I used the word “manipulation” to trigger an emotional response. I could have easily used “influence” to convey the same message, but I would have instantly lost your engagement. Need examples?
Sexual terms produce heightened engagement like seduce/seductive, attraction, sexy…Top 10 Sexy Headlines of 2017 to Attract Your Ideal Customer and Seduce Them Into Clicking on Your Ad…Violent words do the same thing like explode/explosive, kill/destroy, etc…#1 Strategy of 2017 to Explosively Jump-start Your Health Journey and Destroy Your Cravings Forever…
7) Make Them Feel Loved – Connect a feeling of more love to the benefits of your offer. Cause them to imagine that they will experience greater love and appreciation by purchasing your offer.
8) Sense of Significance – People have a need to feel like they have value. Make them feel like they do matter because they do. Treat them with ultimate respect and customer service. Spotlight them and give them recognition. Ask them for a testimonial, and write up a special article for them on your blog. People love this.
9) Share Secrets – People are curious, and the absolutely love secrets. Think of all the headlines you’ve seen like: “Secrets Revealed…” “Discover The Hidden Secrets Of…” and the list goes on.
10) Give Them a Sense of Power – People have a need to feel like they are in control. Let them know that they are in control of the buying process. Also, let them know they will have more control in their life by purchasing your offer.
(2) Copywriting Tools That Tap Deeply Into Their Subconscious Mind
Questions, Concerns, Objections
One of the keys to writing seductive copywriting for your online marketing is the ability to anticipate your prospect’s questions, objections and concerns AND address them in the EXACT MOMENT that they are thinking them. This right here makes you almost 100% irresistible.
If you do this effectively then you can lead and direct your prospects to where you want them to go almost effortlessly. But you must begin where they are…you must understand their map of the world and how to navigate it.
While creating any sales copy, you must continually ask yourself, “If I were the prospect, what would I be thinking now?” You can hook your prospect if you can ask them their question the minute that they are asking it to themselves.
You want an example? Here are a few.
After a big hook or promise you need to anticipate what they will be thinking…
“I guarantee you that if you stick to my fitness program and drink Super Smoothie 5000 then you’ll lose 20 pounds in your first 30 days…”
We know what this will do to the mind of our prospect. It’ll immediately elicit skepticism. What is a great way to employ this ‘mind control’ strategy?
“You’re probably thinking that this, ‘Sounds too good to be true?'”
Because of all of the hype and garbage on the internet these days this is exactly what they are thinking or something very similar to it. Now you are in the head of your prospect, and they will follow you wherever you lead them.
Here is an example of what you DO NOT want to say:
“Hard to believe?” or “Sounds crazy?
This is the exact, 100% opposite of what you want to do! You want…excuse me, you NEED you prospect to believe, and with your own words you’re commanding them to have disbelief. You introduced “hard to believe” to their subconscious, and the chances are that they won’t believe another word that you say.
Towards the end of your sales video/letter or presentation…
“I know what you are thinking…
“I get it, but I don’t think I could really do this?” – This is terrible…you just transferred feelings of self doubt and limiting beliefs to your prospect, and your chances of closing them are now zero to none. You have lost them.
OK, I really get it…but could I really do this?” – The subtleties of language are powerful. Notice the use of “could.” It presents an open-ended question, which, as you already know, opens up the subconscious mind to seek answers and justification for a “Yes” to this question. You would not want to use “can” because can is a yes/no question, and you can lose the prospect if their mental answer is “no.” The use of “could” over “can” in this instance is 1000x more powerful.
Dealing with the cost objection:
“I know by now that you’re probably thinking…
“I can’t afford this” or “This is really expensive.” – They may not have been thinking it before, but now they certainly are. Congratulations! You just created and confirmed their doubts with one sentence…except this is not what you need them to be thinking in the first place.
“Is there enough value here…?” or “Could I afford this?” – Here is that open-ended question again using “could.” I’m telling that this is POWERFUL, and you can start using it right now to get results. “Is there enough value here…?” Well, Mr. or Mrs. prospect, let us recap so that I can show you the value one more time. Never sell on price…always sell on value.
It’s not your product or service that has any importance…it is the story attached to your offer that makes all the difference in the world. Story telling is THE #1 way to slip past your prospect’s conscious awareness, and tap into the seat of their emotions <<< Remember that we ALL buy because of the emotions that buying gives us.
The unconscious mind only speaks in story. It is wired to understand and act upon pictures, images, and metaphors. Story-telling is not just foundational to sales and copywriting…it is the foundation of all effective communication in any arena of life.
“The human body sends 11 million bits per second to the brain for processing, yet the conscious mind seems to only be able to process 50 bits per second.” – Encyclopedia Britannica
So which part of the brain do you think we should focus our marketing and copywriting on? That’s right, the unconscious mind!
DANGEROUSLY Persuasive Mind Hacks!!
**As I give you these principles and examples, please understand that these are not meant to be standalone sentences for their full effect. They work best when sprinkled in throughout your copy or sales video or prospecting call, etc.**
- Direct Commands – The most effective thing you can do in marketing is simply tell people what to do…People want, and need, to be told what their next step is. You have to pretend that your prospects are unmotivated, lazy couch potatoes that need you to know what to do…Trust me, if you don’t have a clear Call-T0-Action then they won’t act. Bold, underline, italicize, all caps the FEELINGS and ACTIONS that you want your prospects to take.
- “Now I’m not saying that this could happen magically overnight…“
- “As you fill out the form with your name and email and watch the video on the next page, you may feel compelled to buy immediately…”
- “When you are ready to do that now…”
2. Mind Cannot Distinguish a Negative – Be extremely careful of your word choice when using this technique. Use double negatives to embed commands.
- You can’t make the decision to not Register For This Webinar!! (exactly what you would like to say. Do you see how you could use this pattern to embed commands so they take the action that you want?) Here’s a bit more… Do whatever it takes to JOIN US Live…
- You better not miss it…in fact, don’t miss it for the world!! (I just told you that the mind cannot distinguish a negative. The unconscious mind can’t imagine not doing something…it only sees in pictures and seeks to make a positive action out of everything…the embedded commands here are “You better miss it” and “Miss it for the world”)
3. Hypnotic Pacing and Leading/ Power of 3 – (I’ll cover the specifics of this in a future post) This is very powerful. Pacing in three verifiably true statements and then interjecting a thought or action you want the subject to take is suggestive beyond compare. They want to do as you tell them and don’t even know why!
As you are at your computer, reading this blog, and learning about 10 dangerously persuasive mind hacks you may start to instantly become aware that you need to employ these in your marketing right away, and you badly need the Copywriting Mastery course
4. “By Now…” – Studies show that the mind cannot tell the difference between “By Now” and “Buy Now.” You have already heard that it takes 8-10 exposures to something before we become comfortable with it. Imagine dropping “by now” into your sales presentation or webinar 8-10 times before dropping the very lucrative “BUY NOW…”
- By now, you may be starting to feel excited…
- By now, you probably starting to salivate at the idea of losing 20lbs in the next 30 days without working out…
- By now, you have already made the decision to “buy now”
5. Get Them to Say YES a Million Times – Throughout your presentation you want to get as many audible Yes’s as possible. Ask questions that will cause the prospects to raise their hands in agreement. Sprinkle in agreeable statements that will even get them to say “yes, I agree” with the voice in their head. Unconsciously this causes them to like and trust you more while simultaneously prepares them to buy now. Imagine the conversion rate you will have when your audience agrees with you throughout a 30 minute to an hour presentation. This is ridiculously good stuff!
6. Stimulate the Unconscious Mind – You want to massage your prospects into a dream-like state by using awareness presuppositions and descriptors that conjure an imaginative state. This is more art than science, but check out the following examples now.
- As you analyze every word that I speak, think of all the amazing wonders this offer could bring to you..
- The further and further we get into this presentation, you will be absolutely astonished as your challenges magically begin to melt away like ice cream on a blazing hot summer day
- Just suppose for a moment…Imagine just for a second, what it will be like…
7. Tell Them What to Feel – Sales is the transfer of emotions. You need to induce emotions…and ONLY emotions…that are conducive to your prospects to buy your stuff. Never tell them to feel “can’t afford,” “I can’t do this,” “this is hard,” etc…
- As you are reading this blog post, you are beginning to feel a sense of security…
- By now, you are starting to feel comfortable that this system could be what you need to grow your business…
- As we continue, feel excited that this opportunity could change your life forever…
- Because you are starting to see the incredible value here, you are getting ready to buy now…
8. Future Pacing (Pleasure and Pain) – Get your prospects to imagine the future with benefits of your offer
- What will it be like for them in 1, 3, or 5 years into the future if they buy your product now (pleasure)
- Get them to imagine and experience the benefit to their family if they buy your product now (pleasure)
- What changes over the next 12 months if the make the decision to not take action now?? (pain)
9. Speak in the “You” Form – Replace “I” – “he” – “she” – “me” with “YOU” – “US” – “WE”, and replace “the” – “their” with “YOUR” – “OUR”. It is not about you; it is 100% about them…Get out of your own ego and speak “what’s in it for them.” This language pattern subliminally gets your prospect out of their on head and deeply involved in your story-telling.
She is financially free today because she discovered the secret sauce to get people to buy whatever she is selling… (Looks OK on the surface, BUT who is “she?” This does not address the potential customer at all. The prospect’s first thought is, “OK that’s good for her but can I do this?”)
Do this instead…
She is financially free today because she discovered the secret sauce to get people to buy whatever you are selling…
10. Replace “I” with “WE” – “We” presupposes that you are on their side, and that you have their best interests in mind. By saying we over “I,” you’re allowing them to know, like, and trust you immediately, and this goes a very long way in creating lifelong customers.
- “We are going to uncover the secrets of keeping excess weight off forever!” VS. “I am going to teach you the secrets of keeping the excess weight off forever!”